We rely on the police to keep us safe and treat us all fairly, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin or religion.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU’RE STOPPED BY POLICE, IMMIGRATION AGENTS OR THE FBI
– You have the right to remain silent. DO IT! If you wish to exercise that right, say so out loud.
– You have the right to refuse to consent to a search of yourself, your car or your home. DO IT!
– If you are not under arrest, you have the right to calmly leave.
– You have the right to a lawyer if you are arrested. Ask for one immediately. DO IT!
– Regardless of your immigration or citizenship status, you have constitutional rights.
– Do stay calm and be polite.
– Do not interfere with or obstruct the police.
– Do not lie or give false documents.
– Do prepare yourself and your family in case you are arrested.
– Do remember the details of the encounter.
– Do file a written complaint or call your local ACLU if you feel your rights have been violated
Courtesy of the ACLU.